The Kunming Institute of Zoology (KIZ) is a first class zoological research institute established in 1959. Today, it is one of twenty biological institutes in the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), and the only CAS life sciences institute in western China to receive such accolades as support from the “Renovation 2020 pick over”. KIZ conducts cutting-edge research on national and local biological resource security, population health, and social development, in order to develop advanced theoretical and technical scientific knowledge. KIZ’s research focuses on three key scientific fields: genetics, reproduction & evolution; utilization and conservation of biological genetic resources; and animal models, human disease mechanisms & new drug development. Housed within KIZ are the State Key Laboratory of Genetic Resources and Evolution, the Key Laboratory of Animal Models and Human Disease Mechanisms, and another 3 provincial laboratories. Other laboratories include the Kunming Primate Research Center, the State Biological Industrialization Base – Experimental Animal Center, the Kunming National High-level Biosafety Research Center for Non-human Primates, the Kunming Biodiversity Regional Center for Large Scale Facilities, Kunming Natural History Museum of Zoology, Kunming Cell Bank of Type Culture Collection and the Southern China DNA Barcoding Center. At the moment, the CAS-Yunnan Government Laboratory of Biodiversity in Southwest China and the Southwest Institutes for Biological Sciences are under construction.
To date, more than 400 staff (including more than 300 permanent staff) are working at the institute, and upwards of 270 post graduate students are studying across the various labs. 31 different scientific research groups are headed by outstanding principal investigators (PIs) with international experience. Indeed, their recognition by noted programs such as the National Outstanding Youth Science Fund, “The Thousand Talents Program (type B)”, “The Youth Thousand Talents Program”, and “The 100-Talent Program,” among others, attests to the quality and caliber of their research.
Located in southern Yunnan, KIZ is strategically located in the Indo-Burma biodiversity hotspot, alongside Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, India, and Myanmar. Yunnan is seeped in rich traditions reflecting the diversity of its ethnic groups, and boasts a complex geographical environment and unique vertical climate spanning jungles to snow-capped alpine mountains. No other place in China provides such abundant and diversified biological resources, favorable ecological environment, and beautiful natural scenery.Kunming, the provincial capital, borders Dianchi Lake in the south, and is surrounded by the mountains, giving the city a comfortable spring-like climate year round. Kunming is also a quickly growing and modernizing city, slated to become China’s gateway to Southeast Asia and its link to the ASEAN trade network. In 2012, the Kunming Changshui International Airport opened as one of the four largest international airports in China.
To further the institute’s scientific research development, KIZ is recruiting high-level talent for select positions, available to highly qualified applicants from China and abroad.
Director, Kunming Primate Research Center, CAS
Laboratory Animal Science
Applicant is responsible for the operation and management of the center, and carrying out related research work.
Information & Network Application
Applicant is responsible for integrating and applying relevant modern network technology.
Animal Models & Pathogenesis Mechanisms
Applicant should undertake research work on neurobiology and neuropsychiatric diseases, viral immunology, major viral infectious diseases, and non-human primate models.
Applicant should use animal models (prior to non-human primate models) of human disease to undertake research on basic stem cell research, pharmacology pharmacodynamics, and preclinical safety evaluation.
Bioinformatics & Systematic Biology
Applicant should undertake research work on bioinformatics and systematic biology.
Applicant should undertake research on basic genomics.
Genetic reproduction and Evolution
Applicant should undertake basic research on the development and evolution of animal genetics.
Phylogenetic systematics and evolution
Applicant should undertake research on biogeography and classification of insect fauna.
Applicant should carry out applied research in community and population evolutionary ecology, and biodiversity conservation.
Principal Investigator and Technology Leader
Animal gene cloning and transgenosis
Applicant should undertake research on animal cloning and transgenosis.
Study on domestic animal basis and breeding
Applicant should undertake research on domestication and breeding (pigs, cows, sheep, dogs, chickens, silkworms, etc).
Study and utilization of natural active material
Applicant should undertake research on natural active material and its utilization.
Laboratory Animal Science
Applicant should undertake the research work on laboratory animal science of non-human primates, particularly on developing technology key to tree shrews inbred line, and provide technological support for institutional research on animal models of disease and major disease mechanism.
Key Technology of Animal Breeding
Applicant should undertake research on technology key to domestic animal breeding and reproduction, and provide technological support for other research work at the institute.
Ⅱ. Candidate qualifications
1. Candidates of all nationalities are encouraged to apply. Candidates should be no more than 40 years old, although associate professors in developed countries can be up to 45 years old, and professors in developed countries up to 55 years old.
2. Candidates from abroad should have four years of continuous overseas work experience after being awarded their PhD degree. Candidates from China should have an academic standing equivalent to associate professor or higher. Successful applicants will need to work full-time in the institute.
3. The qualifications may be relaxed for candidates who are willing to study breeding tree shrews strains, or tree shrew gene manipulation and non-human primates.
4. Candidates must have significant research accomplishments in relevant research fields and be competent as a principle investigator or a technology leader: for example, international scientific research achievements, publication of high-quality scientific papers in key SCI journals, mastery of key technologies, possess important patents, and so on.
5. Candidate must abide by professional ethics, observe academic norms, and be honest and trustworthy.
Ⅲ. Salary and Benefits
1. After successful candidates pass the open recruitment interview and review, the candidate will be recruited to the relevant position with the following support:
(a) Set-up fund: 1.5 million Yuan for normal PIs, 2 million Yuan for overseas’ associate professors, and 3 million for overseas’ professors.
(b) House purchase subsidies: ranging from 470,000 ~ 870,000 Yuan.
(c) Annual income: not less than 250,000 Yuan.
(d) Laboratory size: 100 ~ 200 ㎡.
(e) Assistance in finding spouse a job, and children’s nurseries and schools.
(f) Relocation apartment provided for free.
2. For the applicants with special talents, salary and benefits can be negotiated.
3. The institute will assist new talents to apply for a variety of talent projects. If the application is approved, the funds and personal rewards according to the relevant regulations are as follows:
The Thousand Talents Program (type A)
The Youth Thousand Talents Program
2.6 -- 3.6 million
The 100-Talent Program
2 – 2.6 million
Outstanding S&T Talent Recruitment Program
2.6 -- 5 million
Overseas High-level Talent Recruitment Program
IV. Application materials
All applicants are required to submit the following materials:
1. Curriculum Vitae including contact information, a brief biography and detailed educational background and working experience, as well as any additional information the applicant would like considered;
2. Photocopies of certificates of academic degrees, professional qualifications, and honors; ID card or passport information page;
3. Comprehensive list of research output, including but not limited to a list of published manuscripts within the last 5 years, photocopies of 3 representative published manuscripts, patents, relevant honors, and other related documents indicative of the applicant’s scientific research capabilities. For all publications, please indicate the first author, corresponding author, chief writer and/or primary inventor.
4. Two recommendation letters from well-known scholars from relevant research fields in China or abroad;
All information is collected for recruitment purpose only and will not be shared with third parties. Please send all required materials by post or email to the following address.
V. Contact Information
Liaison: Ms. BAI Yu
Telephone: +86 871 65137268
Fax: +86 871 65199941
Mailing Address: Division of Human Resources
Kunming Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
32 Jiaochang Donglu, Kunming 650223, Yunnan, China