The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) accepts international students through over 20 UCAS schools and over 100 institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). Kunming Institute of Zoology(KIZ), CAS is one of the institutes.
In 2018, KIZ provides about 6 Master’s programs that commonly last for 3 years. Certificates of graduation and degrees will be awarded to those who have met the requirements of graduation and degree conferment. Master‘s programs are mainly instructed in Chinese or bilingual in Chinese and English, with only a few programs instructed in English. For Chinese-instructed Master Programs, please refer to UCAS Admission Information Website (see here). Please see the following information about English-instructed Master’s Programs:
1.1 Program in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
The program provides professional courses such as Zoology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Genomics, Conservation Biology, etc. Research directions involve zoology, biochemistry and molecular biology, genetics, aiming to develop talents in the field of ecology and evolutionary biology. Through study of the program, students will have a firm and comprehensive grasp of basic theories and profound and systematic specialized knowledge in the discipline, will get scientific thinking and experiment training in basic and applied basic research with good scientific research morality and professional dedication spirit, will have the ability to undertake scientific research or independently to engage in a special technical work. The majors for this program are as follows:
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
1.2 Program in Biodiversity Conservation Research
Biodiversity Conservation is an interdisciplinary field for investigating the pattern, formation and change of biological diversity using macro and micro biological methods. It seeks to reveal the evolutionary mechanisms leading to current patterns and processes of biodiversity, and to provide theoretical guidance for biodiversity conservation and sustainable utilization of biological resources. English-taught professional courses in this program include Conservation Biology, Plant Ecology, Developmental Biology, Global Change Ecology, Molecular Entomology and Plant Pathology, Advanced Field Course in Ecology and Conservation etc. The research direction covers botany, zoology and ecology. The program aims to cultivate outstanding professional talents in areas such as biodiversity and environmental protection, sustainable utilization of biological resources and etc. After completing this program, students are expected to master the solid basic knowledge of in the fields of ecology and biology and have the capacity to conduct biodiversity conservation research, as well as an independent and innovative way of thinking. The related discipline is as followed.
2. Application Guidance
2.1 General Conditions for Applicants
(1) Non-Chinese citizens;
(2) Healthy and have good personal character;
(3) Holding a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in program-related fields with satisfactory performance;
(4) Get approval for application from a host supervisor in CAS and the institute/school that the supervisor is affiliated with;
(5) Language skills requirements:
● For programs offered in Chinese: should pass the new HSK band 5 with score more than 200;
● For programs offered in English: Good command of English.
Applicants whose native language is not English should provide unexpired TOEFL or IELTS scores. TOEFL scores should be 90 or higher, and IELTS scores should be 6.5 or higher. Applicants are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score only if their:
a) Native language is English, or
b) Major undergraduate courses are conducted in English/Chinese, which should be stated in transcripts;
3. Application Guideline
(1) CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA;
You should verify that you meet ALL the requirements specified in the “General conditions for applicants” section of this call.
(2) FIND AN ELIGIBLE HOST SUPERVISOR AFFILIATED WITH UCAS FACULTY OR CAS INSTITUTE THAT AGREES TO ACCEPT YOU;
See here for a list of eligible supervisors affiliated with UCAS faculties/CAS institutes.
Once you find an eligible professor of your interest, you must contact him/her, send an explanatory e-mail together with your CV, research proposal and any other required documents to him/her, and indicate that you wish to apply for the Master Program of UCAS.
(3) SUBMIT YOUR ADMISSION APPLICATION VIA THE ONLINE SYSTEM;
Applications shall be submitted via the Online Application System for International Students of UCAS (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn) which would be officially launched around Dec. 15, 2017. Please prepare and upload the following materials to the system. Make sure the electronic version of supporting documentation is in the right format as requested for the online application system.
● Your regular passport which has at least 2 years validity (only pages showing personal and validity details are needed);
● Your recent full-face bust photo with 2-inch;
● Complete CV with a brief introduction of research experience;
● Original copy of the Bachelor’s degree certificate (applicants having just completed or about to complete their degree should provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date);
● Original copy of the undergraduate study transcripts;
● Proof of knowledge of English and/or Chinese;
● Detailed research proposal;
● Photocopies of all the title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 published academic papers;
● TWO reference letters (NOT the host supervisor) familiar with you and your work (signed, dated and on official headed paper with contact phone number and email address)
● Foreigner Physical Examination Form
(4) REMIND YOUR SUPERVISOR TO COMPLETE THE SUPERVISOR’S COMMENT PAGE AND SEND IT TO THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS OFFICE OF UCAS BY THE UCAS FACULTY/CAS INSTITUTE WHICH HE/SHE IS AFFILIATED WITH.
(1) The applicant should affirm that, all the information and materials he/she provides here are true and correct. If there is any forge or false documents, he/she will undertake all the consequences.
(2) The applicant cannot apply to more than one institute/school and supervisor.
(3) All the above supporting documentation must be in English or Chinese, otherwise notarial translations in English or Chinese are required.
(4) Lack of application documents or unsatisfactory documents will not be accepted and none of the documents will be returned.
(5) Please DO NOT send any of your supporting documentation directly to the International Students Office of UCAS.
4. Application Time
December 1, 2017 – May 31, 2018.
For those who apply to UCAS for scholarship, please submit the above admission application documents along with scholarship application form before March 31st, 2018, the scholarship application deadline.
5. Visa Application and Admission Registration
UCAS will admit excellent students from among the eligible applicants and send an Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW201/ JW202) to the admitted students. The admitted students should bring their personal and ordinary passport, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW201/JW202), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as other original documents of physical examination to an Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa).
Please keep safe the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW201/ JW202) which are needed for registration and residence permit application. Please do not enter China visa-free or with other types of visas other than X visa. Students should register in the required place indicated on the Admission Notice within the expected period of registration. Otherwise, students should apply to UCAS for late registration.
6. Fees and Scholarship
6.1 Application Fee, Tuition, and Other Costs:
(1) RMB600 or USD, EUR equivalent (Non-refundable);
(2) Tuition Regular: RMB30,000 or USD, EUR equivalent.
(3) Premium of Comprehensive Insurance:
RMB 800/year, RMB 400/half year;
RMB900 per month for each person (room with two beds)
(5) Outpatient service fee is paid according to the insurance scheme from insurance company.
Board expenses, travel expenses and other cost of experiments, meetings or trainings beyond the program curricular is at the student’s own expense.
1. Currencies other than RMB, USD and EUR are unacceptable.
2. UCAS bank account information:
Beneficiary: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Account number: 11001059200053002790
Bank: Construction Bank of China
Beijing Municipal Dongfangguangchang Branch
3. Please specify the purpose of the remittance and the student’s name, nationality and passport number.
● Chinese Government Scholarship
The Chinese Government Scholarship supports many programs, including Bilateral Program, Great Wall Program, EU Program, PIF Program, etc., to sponsor international students and scholars to study and research in Chinese universities. The scholarship offers a fee waiver of tuition and application fee, health insurance, on-campus dormitory accommodation, etc. Please refer to the website of the China Scholarship Council (http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/) for detailed introduction, qualifications of applicants and admission process.
UCAS is one of the authorized universities for the Chinese Government Scholarship. Eligible applicants may apply to the China Scholarship Council by the recommendation of the related national official departments and Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China. The scholarship usually starts in November and finishes the following April. Due to different deadlines of various countries, please check in advance. The International Students Office of UCAS will offer pre-admission notice if needed.
● CAS “The Belt and Road” Master Fellowship Programme
This fellowship programme provides Tuition fee exemption by UCAS; Monthly stipend to cover accommodation, local transportation expenses, health insurance, and other basic living expenses (Reference: RMB 4000 per month, within which RMB 1000 is provided by CAS institute or UCAS school/college). Please refer to the UCAS website (http://english.ucas.ac.cn/) for more information.
● UCAS Scholarship for International Students
This scholarship offers talent international students and scholars to have Master’s study at UCAS. It provides a fee waiver of tuition and health insurance. Please refer to the UCAS website (http://english.ucas.ac.cn/) for more information.
7. Contact Information
7.1 International Students Office, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences